Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Boredom is the mother of creativity/Group inspiration

So, as Jenna put it so perfectly yesterday, the past few days have certainly felt like we have been babysitting ourselves. The list below backs up my claim that boredom is truly the mother of creativity/invention. Also, this may be a clear sign that I have a.d.d.
Sand-dune jumping
Picture taking
Kite Flying
Badminton playing
Many games of pool
Picture-drawing game where you combine two animals into one (my personal invention for the week)
hoola-hoop contest
Collective story-writing game
Campfire on the beach
Road trip to haunted house
Several games of balderdash
100+ pages of a book read
incredibly artistic fruit and sushi platters
Frizbee
Buffalo farm
Making a "pin the horn on the blinged-out-unicorn" game
and most recently, watching one of my favorite movies, The Science of Sleep
(followed directly afterwards by the craft described below)

I sit here alone at a grand wooden table fit for 14 or more people, listening to Regina Spektor sing about a den of thieves. Everyone is asleep, and although I would like to sing along out loud, I'm afraid I may wake someone, although on second thought, since the 4 of us who stayed up late were not 10 minutes ago talking freely and making noise, I suppose I shouldn't worry.

I'm feeling gentle admiration for the adaptability of human beings right now. I marvel at how 12 nearly-strangers can settle in so quickly and become a functioning unit. 4 of us girls just stayed up after the movie was over, and feeling inspired decided to make a diorama (weird that that word has come up more than once today) of boats with forests in them. They are all currently sitting on a lake of tin foil in the middle of the table, about to collide with an orange crushed pop can glacier. How wonderful to be so inspired as a group.

Jenna and I discussed this evening our longing to find a group of people back home that have the same goals, the same dreams, the same inspirations as we do, in respect to God's calling on our lives. We both agree that it is nearly impossible to pursue a radical, Jesus-following lifestyle on one's own. I know I've said it before but I'll say it again: We are a generation of talkers, of theology, of theory...what we lack is the motivation, stamina...the mojo, if you will, to "get the job done". I pray that this trip will make me better prepared to be not just a woman of words, but a woman of deeds.

I also pray that I find more productive things to do with my time...although our blinging unicorn is pretty much an AMAZING use of time.

I suppose I will head off to my room now, where I hope to have dreams similar to those I just fell in love with in that movie. Night.

No comments: