Saturday, August 4, 2007

A lovely weekend/ a really long post.

So, a lot has occured since my last post. I've been trying not to write about it because I wanted pictures off of other people's cameras, but clearly I am too unorganized to wait around for that to happen.

Last weekend, the boys surprized us with a girls appreciation day/night. Originally, we were told to meet the boys in Antigua at this Ice Cream shop at 2pm, where they were going to buy us icecream and hang out for a bit. We figured this would take maybe an hour. However, when we all finally arrived at the ice cream shop, we were greeted with John actually BEHIND the counter with the other workers! So then I figured, ok, John is just being cute and serving us the ice cream, but no no, he hands us ice cream cones filled with encouragement notes and a riddle to figure out our next destination and then bolts. We quickly realized we were on a scavenger hunt of some sort, and in fact at first I thought it was some sort of race, so I literally ran to our next location for fear of "elimination". However, when I arrived and found Andrew, he told me elimination was voluntary along the way.

So, we made our way around the city, finding boy after boy in different locations (although i should mention that when it came to the clue where Nick was, which entailed telling us that he was at an old ruined church, there are MANY old ruined churches, and we went to every stinking one of them before finding him at the very FIRST one that we went to, which we thought was closed...). Ashley and I opted for a double date with Kris, which consisted of pre-bought white sombrero-y tourist-y type hats (which we wore for the rest of the day), liquados (smoothies) and a horse and buggy ride around the city. Magical. Each of the other girls got their own individual dates with the other boys, some consisting of making and handing out sandwiches to homeless people, others consisting of being serenaded by violin in a cigar shop. The day was just wonderful.

To top it all off, the boys that week had gotten us girls to do small video clips to say hello to Robert and Carolyn and Dan back home on the farm in Canada, which we thought were going be collaborated into a nice little video to be posted on You Tube. Well, that vision is still happening, however, they ALSO made a second video, one in which they dubbed over our voices with their own and had us saying ridiculous things, along with their own individual clips of memories that they have of us (weather those memories were REAL or not is another story), and also interviewed one person in the town who is close to us to say some nice things about us. This video will be up soon.

So, that was last weekend. Yesterday, our spanish teachers and the girls got up early and took a 7 o clock bus to this place called Chimaltenango, or as I call it "chicki chicki mango" to wander around an animal market. It sounded like fun, but I could not have anticipated it would be a place where I would take some of the best photos of my life. I don't have time to post them now because I've got a photography student sitting next to me right now colouring, so I have to go.

However, let me end with this: Last night, John, Jenna, Nick and I took photos against one of the newly painted walls of my room (Jenna, Steph and I are painting a room in my families house as a present...full of vines and roses and beauty) and then we finished watching "Motorcycle Diaries", a movie I had always wanted to see but always thought it had Freddy Prince Junior in it, so I figured it wasn't worth watching. Now I know it is one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen, and was enthralled with from start to finish. After having a spanish lesson with the girls on Che Guavera last week, and having convorsations with Nick before on his time in a leper colony, I can't imagine a better movie to watch at this point in my life. Amazing.

More pictures to come!

No comments: